Thursday, September 27, 2007

water babies

do any one of you know what are water babies/jellies?
this is getting pretty popular in primary schools, for example my nephew's primary school.

one day, my nephew messaged me, saying that his water babies are very cute.
and being the noob me, i don't know what water babies are.
so he described them to me:
"Water babies are like jelly.
but they can grow and reproduce and have babies.
there are several colors, transparent, purple, green,pink and blue, which are very rare."

according to my nephew it will get "pregnant" after five or six days.
then you will see a ba lu ku there.
one of his transparent one already has a ba lu ku.
the green water babies will "give birth" to a green offspring etc.

just put the water babies in water and it will grow.

so being the curious me, i asked him if they will die.
and he said yes, if i press or squeeze them too hard.

i found this thing very interesting, so i went to do some research on this thing.
and i found out that the scientific name is polyacrylamide copolymer gel.
it is a non-toxic chemical.
it is discovered by this guy called Steve Spangler.

the original purpose of water babies is to increase the water holding capacity of soil.
and it consists of chemicals that has many uses that can be applied to our daily life.
for example breast implants!!
and also contributes to some part of contact lenses too.
you can read more about it here.

anyway my nephew has kindly offered to give me a few of his green water babies.
and he reminded me to bring along a water container filled with water to his house.
(and after doing my research, i don't think that the babies can die though.)

so i shall visit his house this coming saturday,
with a water container filled with water.
and be prepared to welcome my new pets- water babies!

am i childish?
nah...it is to make up for the loss of childhood.

shall post pictures of my water babies up if i am too not lazy.
=)